Sunday, March 12, 2017

Mother Nature... You're Drunk!


Today is March 12.  We're nearly halfway through the month where spring officially arrived.  We've "sprung ahead", daffodils are blooming around town, and yards are greening up.

Then there's this:


Yuck!  I am FINISHED with winter weather.  We had no measurable snow on the ground through January or February.  I thought perhaps we were out of the woods and I could consider changing out my closet and bringing out my warmer clothes. But NO!  Instead, I'm making sure my snow boots are out and ready for me to slip them on tomorrow morning.  I'm wondering what happened to my warm winter hat.  I dug out my scarf.  I guess I'll wait to take my winter coat to the cleaners.

I live in northern Illinois. I should not be surprised by anything when it comes to the weather, as it seems to change every five minutes.  I tell myself that I like living in a part of the world where we have four distinct seasons.  And I do!  I love spring with its flowers and green (though the hyacinths and other bulbs drive my allergies crazy).  I like the heat and humidity of summer in June and early July, and I tolerate it through August.  Fall is gorgeous, especially the forest preserves where the landscape is like an artists palette.  Even winter has its charms, with clear air and that first, magical snowfall of the winter.

But I don't like it when I get a tease of spring and then get pushed headlong back into winter's icy grip.  I've been spoiled by sunny days and warm-ish breezes.

Come on, Mother Nature.  Bring on spring for real!

6 comments:

  1. Good thing you are preparing. Here in NE Iowa we have several inches on the ground since about 5. We're supposed to get between 7 and 9 inches. UGH! Schools are starting to announce two hour late starts. My guess is, we will miss another day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Maine Mother Nature wants to bring us 1 to 2 FEET this week. She's such a kidder! GAHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facing the same sadness here in NJ, powerful Nor'easter on the way, looks like a snow day on Tuesday after spending February dabbling in the 70's! But March does not last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you write it, "tease of spring and then get pushed headlong back into winter's icy grip," is a perfect description. I feel the same, and I'm very grumpy about it.

    But, moreover, I'm worried about the future of the earth and the changes that are happening without any strong force to stop it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you write it, "tease of spring and then get pushed headlong back into winter's icy grip," is a perfect description. I feel the same, and I'm very grumpy about it.

    But, moreover, I'm worried about the future of the earth and the changes that are happening without any strong force to stop it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in Montana and remember looking forward to spring and then Mother Nature heading out on a bender. Now I live in Southern California and each time I miss the seasons I remember her issue and I don't miss them as much. So sorry you were teased. Hopefully it will be the last time this year.

    ReplyDelete