|Check out all of the slices at TwoWritingTeachers!|
Well, hello, first Tuesday of fall! Your gorgeous sky and cool breeze have me wishing I could spend the day outside, enjoying all of your glory instead of inside in meetings today.
In honor of today's glorious weather, here are five things I love about fall:
1. Honeycrisp apples. Yes, I know everyone seems to love these beauties. I'm not a super-sweet apple fan, and honeycrisps are the perfect balance of tart and sweet. When they're on sale, I load up and eat them at every meal. It's a bit ridiculous, really.
2. Lightweight sweaters. My favorite days are when it's cool enough to pull a lightweight sweater on but warm enough to go without a coat. The air seems fresher and lighter, somehow. Perhaps it's because the humidity that makes Chicago summers so oppressive is gone.
3. The new TV season. I don't watch nearly as much TV as I used to, but I still get excited about the new TV shows. I like seeing what's new and returning to fresh episodes of my old favorites. Though it seems like there are always new shows to watch due to all of the cable channels available as well as web-only shows, nothing seems as good as those first few new shows in September and October.
4. The Anderson's YA Literature Conference. This is an annual weekend for my friend Sarah and I to get away from our busy lives for a day and meet up with friends old and new and talk books. If you've never had the opportunity to attend this event and you live within a few hours' drive of Naperville, Illinois, you should definitely try to come. Anderson's is one of the largest independent bookstores in the area, and they bring in amazing authors for the day. I've had the opportunity to talk to some of my very favorites because of this event. Eventually, I'll have to start bringing my daughters.
5. My electric blanket. I know... I know... why would I love my electric blanket? My bedroom is FREEZING and my Land's End electric blanket is soft and fuzzy and warm. The best part is the dual control, so I can have my side cranked all the way up and my husband can have his completely turned off. It's the BEST!
and the thing I don't:
Ugh. Squash. Right now my CSA boxes are loaded with the stuff. Spaghetti squash. Acorn squash. Delicata squash. Soon we'll have butternut squash and even the dreaded pumpkin. Every fall I try new squash recipes, hoping I'll find the one that will make me change my mind. So far, no luck. The only way I'll really eat squash is in butternut squash soup. Of course, I'm the only one in my family who will eat it, so I never make it.
So there you have it.... five things I love about fall and one thing I don't.
What's your favorite thing about fall?