Thursday, March 3, 2016

One of THOSE Days




Illustration by Ray Cruz from Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
You know that kind of day... that day when everything seems wrong from the moment the alarm rings.  The day when the shower keeps going from scalding to freezing to scalding again.  The day when you can't  have your morning coffee because you have your wellness screening.  The day when there is no plain cream cheese for the bagel that is your post-blood work bagel.  The day when nothing seems to go right no matter what you do.

Yeah.  I had that day.  I cried in the car as drove from school to home to dance to play practice pickup and back to home.  I scolded my children.  I pouted as I cooked dinner.

I'm better now.  I spent some time thinking about all of the things that went RIGHT today: no cavities at the dentist; the new recipe turned out great; my kids made me laugh at dinner; my husband sat next to me on the couch as we wound down from our days.

It's easy to get caught up in everything that goes wrong in the course of a day.  It's harder to find the good and focus on that.  It's hard to remember that I am the person in charge of my emotions; that I get to decide how I am going to react to situations that I might not like or that are out of my control.

I'm going to hope that tomorrow is a better day, that I'll be able to hold onto the positive, and that I'll get to have that morning coffee that helps my day start off on an even keel.

Otherwise, I might have to move to Australia.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you ended this post as you did because I was going to suggest moving to Australia if you didn't. I hate days like this, just one little thing after another.... Let's hope today is one little good thing after another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of those days last week. I like how you started with a picture of Alexander and ended with Australia. You should share this post with your kids and teach them about literary references.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes I know those days. And I know those Australia thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe still move to Australia, even if your days are better? I hear it's pretty nice down under... :) I like that you pouted through dinner. Some people think that pouting is just for kids. No way! Bring back the pout! Hope you had a better day today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindi, the shit in life is awesome! “Rather than letting our negativity get the better of us, we could acknowledge that right now we feel like a piece of shit and not be squeamish about taking a good look.” ― Pema Chödrön, When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops, I hit send before finishing my thought. The second part of the Pema Chodron quote is what I was thinking... thanks for writing with honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life can be like that. I hope tomorrow is better even if you aren't in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Great final line. I had one of those days on Wednesday. I knew it was going to suck before my son even woke up. I told my husband I was going to be crying before noon--and sure enough! Had to go sit in my car and sob for awhile. Felt much better after that, LOL.

    ReplyDelete