Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Still Unpacking


We've been in our new house for about ten months.  I would like to say that we have completely unpacked all of the boxes and put things where they belong.

I can't.

I can say that is mostly true.  The main living areas are feeling like home, but the basement is another story.  We have boxes of books to go on shelves and boxes of photos an albums that need a home.  I have discovered I have boxes of pens, envelopes, and notepads, most of which will go back to school with me in August.

We have bins of things the girls couldn't bear to part with... yet.  Those will go up in the attic; hopefully this weekend.  I am getting itchy to have EVERYTHING organized, put away, and cleaned up.  I don't want to see any more moving boxes.

The crazy thing is that we MAJORLY purged as we were getting the old house ready list and as we packed to move.  I'm finding even MORE stuff to get rid of as I unpack boxes.  I think I was moving so quickly to pack that I packed things I didn't need to.

Honestly, it feels good to put things into the boxes that will be donated.  Knowing that while something I no longer have a use for may find new life with someone else makes getting rid of it a little easier.

I'm also pickier about the things I bring into the house. If I don't love something, I don't buy it.  I'm trying hard to just have less stuff.

And that feels good, too.

2 comments:

  1. Unpacking is so hard - I find myself always finding a reason to keep everything. You are smart to make decisions and not overwhelm your attic! Hang in there --it will all find a place.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm famous for thinking I can find a purpose for everything at some time, and then I hold on to it. I know in my move between schools, I purged each time, and still had more than I needed. Becoming a coach, I was sure I would purge everything but the essentials. But my problem is how do you decide what the essential books are?! :)
    Best of luck as you continue to work through the last boxes!

    ReplyDelete