Monday, March 21, 2011

Ouch!



Today my six-year-old daughter wiped out on her bike.  It was the first fall of the season, and her first serious fall since she started riding a two wheeler late last summer.

I was getting dinner ready and my husband was watching her from the front window when she fell.  I heard him go running through the front door and my older daughter yell.  By the time I got myself to the door, he was bringing Abby in.  The first thing I noticed was all the blood.

As a mom, I know I have to appear calm and collected when one of my girls is injured, but inside, I panicked.  Holy cow!  There was blood on her face and blood on her knees.  From the first glance, I couldn't tell where the blood on her face was coming from.  I do remember thinking, "Thank goodness she hasn't lost any teeth yet.  If one is knocked loose, another will just come in!"  Does that make me an unfeeling mom?

Turns out she was fine, just a scraped knee and chin and a fat lip.  We'll make her get back on that bike before the week is out, and hopefully she'll escape unscarred, both physically and emotionally.
Abby with scraped chin and fat lip.  Thankfully no stitches needed!

2 comments:

  1. It's always hard to get back on, but I know she can do it. No, you're not an unfeeling mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not unfeeling...amazingly clear-thinking. In that split second, with blood all over your baby, your rational brain was telling the rest of you that it wasn't going to be that bad, She wasn't going to need a cap or crown...just a bandaid and lots of lovin'. Tell Abby that the boys are glad she's OK (and they wish they could have seen it:)

    ReplyDelete