Saturday, March 7, 2015

My favorite breakfast


Danny and I started dating in college.  The first time I went home with him for the weekend, his mom made crepes for breakfast.  This was probably the fanciest breakfast I had ever had, and it was the first time I had ever had crepes.  Where I came from, breakfast was eggs and bacon or cereal, or maybe on a special occasion biscuits and gravy.

Crepes were something you had to go to St. Louis to get at The Magic Pan.

Fast forward many years.  Danny started making me crepes himself.  We would fill them with jams and jellies and fruits and peanut butter and bananas.  My favorite crepe filling, though, is nutella.

For one Valentine's Day early in our marriage, I got him an electric crepe maker.  It's a handy tool that looks like this:
It makes crepes super easy.  He mixes up the very simple batter, then dips the non-stick surface into the batter. Voila!  Crepes!

Today we had celebratory crepes for breakfast.  We had Molly's outstanding turn as the Genie and my sister Lindsey's visit to celebrate.  Danny outdid himself, as usual.

Here was our awesome spread:

A photo posted by Mindi Wells Rench (@mindi_r) on
 My girls love when their dad makes crepes for breakfast,  and I do, too, but for me I always go back to that first breakfast at what would eventually be my inlaws' house.  I love that we're passing this special breakfast on to our girls.

2 comments:

  1. My great grandma, grandma, and mother have made me crepes. I must agree with you that nutella crepes are the absolute best. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crepes are a treat, especially for breakfast. I had an electric crepe maker too. Hmmm, wonder if it is still in my pantry or has my husband removed it because we haven't had any in the last twenty years.

    ReplyDelete