Monday, March 12, 2018

Lost in a Book


Yesterday I started reading The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah.  I am fairly certain I have read all of Hannah's books, usually within weeks of them coming out.  I love the way she writes, how she weaves her stories and develops her characters.  Each time a new title drops, I worry that it can't possibly be as good as the one that came before.  I needn't worry.

I'm not going to talk about the plot of The Great Alone, because 1) I haven't finished it and 2) I don't want to spoil the thrill of reading this book for anyone.  But I really, really want to talk about it.  SO let me know if you've read it!


I noticed something as I moved through my school day and then cooked dinner.  I find myself going back into the story, thinking about Leni, the main character, and her troubled, damaged parents.  I know something bad is going to happen to one of the central characters soon - the tension is building and it's about to burst - but I don't know which character is going to be hurt.  I THINK I have some idea of what's going to set the character who I'm fairly certain will be the bad guy off, but I may be wrong. 

I love this about really good books.  The story takes me over, and I keep thinking about the plot and characters.  I question, predict, and question some more.  I worry about the characters as if they are real people and I want to know they will be ok, even though I know not all of them will be.  I picture myself there among them, a watcher in their stories, the fly on the wall.

Not every book does this to me.  But when it happens, I love it.


2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Hannah fan. I've loved everything she's written. Sounds like I'll like this one too. I always told students that the mark of a really good book for me was wondering what the characters were doing when I wasn't there. My name is on the library list for this book. Hopefully, I'll get it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when books do this to me too. The last book I read that gave me this feeling was All the Missing Girls. Have you read that one? It's told in a very unique way.

    ReplyDelete